Columbus Public Health – Media Update
DISEASE PREVENTION AND CONTROL FOR WEST NILE VIRUS
FOR MONDAY, AUGUST 5, 2013
Columbus Public Health to Spray Area Neighborhoods to Prevent West Nile Virus
Columbus Public Health (CPH) practices disease control and prevention for the West Nile Virus by trapping mosquitoes, investigating complaints, treating standing water, and spraying in areas with high mosquito counts and disease presence. CPH will be spraying the areas highlighted in our on-line map to help control disease in our region.
Columbus Public Health
Tuesday August 6, Wednesday August 7, and Thursday August 8 between the morning hours of 4 am – 6 am.
The online map outlines the designated areas:
Tuesday August 6, 2013:
- South Columbus: (North Boundary – Frebis Ave., East Boundary – Alum Creek Rd., South Boundary – Route 104, West Boundary – S Champion Ave.)
- Worthington: (North Boundary – I-270, East Boundary – Huntley Rd, South Boundary – Dublin-Granville Rd, West Boundary – N High St.)
Wednesday August 7, 2013:
- Olde Town East: (North Boundary – E Broad St., East Boundary – Preston Rd., South Boundary – Bryden Rd, West Boundary – Wilson Ave. )
- West Columbus: (North Boundary –Norfolk Southern Railroad, East Boundary – Hilliard & Rome Rd., South Boundary –W Broad St., West Boundary – Alton & Darby Creek Rd.)
Thursday August 8, 2013:
- Northeast Columbus: (North Boundary – Walnut St., East Boundary – Harlem Rd., South Boundary – Warner Rd., West Boundary – Lee Rd.)
- Southeast Columbus: (North Boundary – Wright Rd., East Boundary – Bowen Rd., South Boundary – Route 33, West Boundary – Gender Rd.)
Weekly spraying areas are determined by mosquito trap results and reports from field staff, the number and type of mosquitoes trapped, the number of infected mosquitoes and evidence of human disease. Updated spraying maps are available on the Columbus Public Health Web site.
MORE INFO: Additional information on West Nile is available at: www.publichealth.columbus.gov, www.cdc.gov, and www.epa.gov. Map online at: www.publichealth.columbus.gov.